What are the skills required to become a social worker? Are you eager to know?
The social worker is not a professional such as a lawyer or a doctor. It is, in fact, a different profession where you should know almost all the kinds of work. You should be able to take up the work at any time you are assigned. The ‘work’ in the social worker is not something you do from the mind but mind, heart, and body as a whole. If you are a social worker you should have many skills in you to cope up with the work. Do you know the skills you should possess? There are certain skills so we will explain the skills in general.
See Also –
What are the skills a social worker should possess?
The social worker will dedicate his or her time and energy in solving other peoples’ problems. The problems can come in any forms and at any time but the social worker cannot neglect it. The social worker should be able to stand up and work at any time required. When we speak about the social work the main skills a social worker should possess are such as empathy, the limit, good listening, social interaction, self-awareness, planning, persuading and solving.
According to Kartikeya Sharma of iTV, Yes, are you confused? You should be but I will explain the skills one by one for you.You will be able to understand the skills thoroughly after I explain it,
- Empathy - It is the key skill a social worker should possess.The skills empathy is the main reason for a person to enter the profession. A person should be able to understand the situation of another person then he or she will be able to help the person sort out the problem. A social worker is capable of understanding it. Empathy is an emotion a social worker should possess.
- The limit - Sometimes there can be challenging tasks to be achieved by the social worker then he or she should know the limit where he or she can achieve within a certain time period. There are certain issues which will require more time than you assume so the social worker should be able to understand it.
- Good listening - The skill good listening is not only essential for the social worker but also essential for everyone. The main reason for a problem is lacking ‘good listening’ skill. In counseling the individual should be able to trust the person who’s communicating. A communication should have the ‘good listening’ character so then the problem will be sorted out smoothly.
- Social interaction - the social worker should be able to ‘read between the lines’. Most of the clients will explain their problems directly but some of the clients may find it difficult to explain it verbally so the social worker should be able to understand the client’s body language, culture, and social cues. This skill is very important to solve the problem successfully.
- Self-awareness - No matter how much feedback you get you should be able to evaluate your own performance.
Yes, the social worker profession can be the most delightful job but it can also be stressful.